1.20.2012

Along the Way

I had recently replicated a self challenge program from an Artist I look up to and draw influence from. For the last few years that I have been following his work, he has times when he posted sequential works of art, day after day, for a certain amount of days. He would place them together online and title the folder (X) in (X). And Every time he posted something new, he showed progression.

A few months back, I was watching his seminar on dvd. In it, he mentions Why he would challenge himself with these projects, and how he got started on them. It all came about when he was entered into an art show by his mom. She told the gallery that he made wildlife art, which at the time was not one hundred percent true. But in light of opportunity, he decided to do what he could to try and get a place in the show. He had two paintings already done. The gallery wanted at least five. So he decided his best bet was to paint more than they asked for, and let them decide on the ones they would like to hang. So he painted one painting a day, until he had the total he needed. Then sent them off to be decided upon. So goes the beginning of what would become a common practice for him. (X)Paintings in (X)Days.

Why did he continue to do this regularly each year? Not only does something like this force you to create. But it also teaches you discipline, progression, structure, and style. It also helps you to increase your professional portfolio. So at the end of last year I did just that. The number was 35. Because when I decided to try it, there were 35 days until the end of the year.

So there it was. 35 Drawings in 35 Days. I have to say, it was an experience for sure. Each time I would draw something, I felt my confidence grow. I made a rule that I could only use both real life references, or self taken photo references. I did use other photo references sometimes when doing commission works. But either way, it was fun, and not only was I creating something everyday, but I was contributing to my overall body of work, and increasing my portfolio as a professional artist.

After finishing all of the drawings, I received a few messages, as well as had some personal encounters with friends and followers of mine. They felt motivated by my project. A friend of mine is now currently aiming to learn bass lines to one complete song per month, as well as write some of his own bass riffs when available. A photographer I know, who is also a Client of mine and volunteer for My Lady and I's Companies is currently on a project to shoot at least One Artistic HDR Photograph a day for the month of January. Another person I know, a Professional Calligraphy Artist, is setting out to complete One Finished Works each weekend for the rest of the year I believe. These are a few that I personally know of.

When I heard all of this I was very much excited. I took an idea from someone who has been an Inspiration to me, and turned it into a challenge for myself, and in turn inspired people who follow me to do their own personal challenges. All in the name of growing as an Artist, and sharing inspiration with others.

To anyone reading this that may be inspired by my works, I want to say Thank You! As followers of my work, I am motivated by you and your stories as much as you may be inspired by mine. Find your outlet, keep progressing, keep growing. Share your creations with everyone you can. Even if sometimes you do not believe it is as good as it could be. Someone, Somewhere may get inspired by it!

No comments: